Thursday, August 6, 2009

We Speak English Here

As the sun sets on Argentina, I prepare to leave.  My bags are by the door, my confirmation codes are written down, my passport ready, and all my fluids are in a plastic bag.  Aside from the typical items such as clothing, shoes, and toiletries, I've packed a mosquito net, bed liners, my broken camera, and leftover malaria medications.  It's funny to imagine having to answer any questions about the anatomically correct male baby doll with the pouting face. 

It's a little surreal to imagine drinkable tap water, power-flushing toilets, summer air and people speaking English.  I even dreamed last night that I was speaking Spanish to someone and they replied, "Um, yeah, we speak English here."
I'll miss strolling around the city, lyrical Castellano accents, and all the eating and the drinking.  On the other hand I look forward to warm August days, blackberry picking, eating sushi and getting some exercise.  Three weeks of eating and drinking and walking around for sport will do that to you.

Goodbye South America.  Hello 25 hours of travel to fly what took us 5 1/2 months to ride.  Goodbye Peter the Girl.  Until next time...

1 comment: